Too often the good that IPAs do is not well enough understood. Some are quite simply brilliant at promoting themselves and their territory. Sadly, though, there are too many that don’t have a sound understanding of the communications process.
So, I’m going to launch my blog with some absolutely basic rules of communications.
- If you want people to listen to you then you have to get their attention.
- If you want people to hear what you have to say you have to be interesting and relevant.
- If you want to be interesting and relevant you have to be creative and never be boring.
- If you want people to believe what you say you have to give them reasons to believe you.
- If you want to defeat the competition you have to be smarter, faster, more interesting and more original.
- If you want people to the think you are the right people to do business with you have to be credible, trusted, efficient and welcoming.
- If you want people to invest their money in your country then get the best possible communications advisers you can afford.
- If you want to win the jobs and benefits of FDI you can’t afford to be average, you can’t afford to be dull. You can’t afford to be boring.
- If you represent a great country, or region or city, with great people and great opportunities then be excited about your benefits – because if you’re not excited, enthusiastic, interesting, stimulating and different the investor will probably go to another country, or region or city.